David Coffaro Vineyard and Winery Winemaker's Diary

Weeks 5-6
January 27, 2007 February 10, 2007 

Friday February 1, 2007

Now that the blending has been completed I have made a decision regarding The Ultimate Cuvee. I mentioned a few months ago that I intended to make this wine by blending several barrels that I think would make a great wine. After blending and tasting all 19 wines to be bottled this year, I have decided to keep 5 barrels separate and blend them into a wine called The Ultimate Cuvee. This wine will be blended in April and then aged in barrel until February 2008. The blend will consist of 2 barrels of 2006 Block 4 and one barrel each of Aca Modot, Estate Cuvee and Terre Melange. The percentage of grapes are as follows: 27% Zinfandel, 22% Petite Sirah, 20% Cabernet, 15% Carignan, 10% Syrah and 6% Petit Verdot. The Ultimate Cuvee will go on sale officially in April, but anyone interested now can send me an e-mail. The cost now until April will be $20 a bottle and $18 a bottle to Vintage Circle customers.

On February 12th we will bottle our 2006 Chardonnay and 2006 Sauv Blanc. We won't have the labels until June, but the wine may be picked up before then. We will just need to apply a laser label.

Thursday February 8, 2007

9:00Pm: WOW. Pat and I are locked out. We are in trouble. We can not get in our main house. We can get in our Guest House and we can get in our office and the Winery, so we are fortunate that we can stay dry. Yes, it is pouring outside. We have had 2 inches of rain in the last 8 hours. I know since I was just outside trying to go through one of our windows on the bottom floor that might be open. I got drenched!!! ALL THE WINDOWS WERE LOCKED. 

It all started about three hours ago, 6:00Pm: Pat and I were discussing the unbelievable story about Anna Nicole Smith's death. I compared her death to Marilyn's; Pat disagreed and we proceeded down the stairs to our office where a double locked door separates the two areas. We are in agreement and are still laughing, that one of us slightly tripped the lock some how. We cannot find a key for the lock. We are trapped. It is now 9:00pm.

Now we have several options: 1) Stay in this office where it is always 70 degrees or more and sleep on our chairs or the floor with the cats {Koovy is locked in the house}; 2) Go into the winery and turn up the heat and sleep on the couches; 3) Break a window or break down the door. 4) climb up a ladder two stories in this rain where I think there is a window I can get into, maybe; 5) Call Catarino to see if he can help us (He does go to sleep at 8:00Pm) 5) OR go over to our Guest House where we have fresh beds made for our guests tomorrow.

10:00pm: We are still debating.

Friday February 9, 2007

8:00Am: I'm IN!!

Salvador was lifted up with the forklift to the second floor bathroom window. It was closed, but it can be jarred open. He had to climb over the toilet, but after that it was easy: out the front door. The basement door was locked by mistake because it has a push button. I still cannot find a key for it.

Last night Pat went over to the Guest House to sleep on a futon. (She did not want to mess up the two beds in the bedrooms). I decided to listen to some music in the winery and sleep on the couch. It was tough, but I survived with a few hours of sleep. This will not happen again. I will carry a front door key.

This will be posted to the Family section where you will find many more Family stories, especially Denise's. I have copies of e-mails from Denise all the way up to this year and they will be uploaded in the next several months. 



Home | Read | Diary | Public Forum | Tell Us What You Think of Our Diary! | Last Week | Next Week